Friday 25 May 2018

LiSSA - colouring a cup and saucer

Hello lovely people,

It's only a couple of weeks now until the launch of LiSSA...what do you mean you haven't heard about this?!

Ok, so LiSSA is an interactive tool that Dr. Hubby and I have developed to help crafters and artists with light source when colouring images.  You can find some more info here so I won't repeat it all in this post!

I wanted to show you today how LiSSA can work in practice using one of the objects, a cup and saucer.  It's a pretty basic object but I don't think it's that easy to decide where the shadows would fall.

Please bear in mind that I am not an expert colourist so any flaws in my colouring are my own and not the fault of LiSSA - lol!

Here's the screenshot from LiSSA;


I didn't adjust any of the lighting settings from the default because I like my light source from the top right and was happy with how the cup looked.  I used the zoom function to be able to see more detail and then spent a little time studying the image.

I took the stamped image I wanted to colour and used a green marker to map out where I could see the deepest shadows.  Ignore the yellow for now...that's for later!


 I then coloured my image using Copic markers G21, G24 and YG63.  These 3 colours are fairly close together so give a nice smooth blend but you could choose a combo with a little more contrast if you wished.


I was pretty happy with this but wanted to see if I could improve on it at all by accentuating the highlights I could see on the image so that's when I went back and added the yellow marker to my shadow map image, then I had another go.


Now, what I maybe should have done was colour the cup BEFORE using LiSSA but I'm 100% sure that I would never have been as happy with it as I was with this LiSSA-aided version.

See that shadow cast by the cup on the left of the saucer?  No way would I have done that and I think it adds a lot of depth to the image.

So, I hope this has given you a little taster of how you could use LiSSA to help you colour, and I'll be sharing plenty more examples and helpful hints before and after release :)

Thanks so much for popping in and I hope you have a lovely day!






6 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the launch hun - this is going to be an absolute miracle worker!! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the launch hun - this is going to be an absolute miracle worker!! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this really esplains how it works and I look forward to more info and its launch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am loving this all ready


    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome Kat! It's the one thing I do struggle with in my colouring. So I love the idea of this!! Looking forward to seeing more. Hugs, Wends xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great, Kat! Thank you for sharing how the software will work for us crafters xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a comment; I love to read them :-)